It is possible to develop an oral health condition that will require surgery. But before you get the surgery, dentists will have to assess you first. One of the things that the assessment establishes is the amount of bone that you have. Surgeries require that you pass a certain threshold for bone density before you proceed. Sometimes you may lack the density to proceed with the surgery. This is where bone grafting comes in. Bone grafting can help buff up the bone content at the site of the surgery. Learn more about bone grafting and how it applies to specialty dental services at Lovett Dental Sharpstown by calling 972.848.8947 today.
What is Bone Grafting?
Bone grafting is a surgical procedure that involves transplanting bone to repair or rebuild damaged bones. In bone grafting surgeries, the surgeon inserts a piece of bone at the site of interest. This bone contains living cells that are responsible for healing and repairing broken bones. They will assist the inserted bone to bond with the old bone at the site of interest.
When Is Bone Grafting Appropriate?
Bone grafting is appropriate in several situations. These include:
- When you have a fracture that doctors think won’t heal without the grafting, it would be appropriate.
- When you go for dental implant services for replacing missing teeth and don’t have the necessary bone density.
- It could be appropriate if you have bone diseases.
- It could happen during spinal fusion surgery.
- If a fracture that you didn’t treat with bone grafting fails to heal properly.
Bone grafting promotes the healing and growth of new bone. The amount of grafting you’ll need will be dependent on the medical professional’s assessment. A dentist will assist you in determining this amount in the case of oral surgery services.
What Happens During the Bone Grafting Procedure?
Bone grafting procedures vary depending on the reasons for the surgery. In most cases, you’ll receive anesthesia to eliminate any pain resulting from the procedure. The surgeon will then cut through the muscle and skin at the site of interest. Afterward, the surgeon will insert the bone between the bones that need to fuse.
Surgeons may make a different cut to harvest the graft from your body. For instance, they may take bones from the hips and use them as grafts in oral surgery. If you fear dental surgeries, you can opt for dental anxiety treatment before an oral bone grafting.
Treatment at Lovett Dental Sharpstown
Treatment at this dental facility is diverse. We offer specialty dental services alongside cosmetic and general dentistry services. Therefore, you can also get treatment for any oral condition under these plans. To make the treatment affordable, we have some special dental treatment offers. Make sure to take advantage of the sessions. You’ll receive treatment under our professionals’ capable hands as we make sure you are comfortable during the treatment period.
Some of the service that we offer include:
- Root canal treatment: This treatment will help you save a decaying tooth. Our dentists will assess you to determine if you need bone grafting before the treatment commences.
- Dental bonding services: This service will help you fix chipped teeth. It can also assist you in filling large gaps between teeth or elongate shorter teeth.
- Family dentistry services: These services will help you find a family dentist near you. The dentist will tend to all your family’s oral care needs. It is ideal for people who prefer a single dentist rather than multiple providers to handle all their oral care issues.
- Ridge augmentation services: Stop the deterioration of bones in the jaw area through this treatment.
Call Lovett Dental Sharpstown Today
There is no need to suffer from a tooth condition because you lack adequate bone for oral surgery. Enrolling in a dental facility will enable a dentist to augment your bone density through bone grafting. Afterward, you can get treatment for the condition. Call Lovett Dental Sharpstown via 972.848.8947 today for specialty dental services today.